Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Indie Life -- Treading Water

OK, I think (I do that sometimes) that I am twisted around backwards and flying upside down. If I'm flying at all, which isn't certain. Maybe I'm swimming. Or more accurately, treading water, which usually can't be confused with flying unless I have really weird chemicals messing with my head. I don't think that's the case, though.  So maybe I am flying.

In any case I'm just managing to tread water. I'm looking for a part time job and learning that the vast majority of part time jobs don't even come close to covering my expenses. A lot of companies have not so much a hiring process as an applicant pool for eternal job openings, from which the managers will pick people they want to interview--if a position happens to be open, which may happen next January if at all.

I'm sure other people are running into the same frustrations.  If I have a full time job I have an hour or so in the early morning and the evening to write so I might as well go back to the same field I was in before and make enough to afford editors and cover artists. But I want to write. If I have a part time job I can work my usual twelve hours and get seven or eight hours to write!

Pizza is out--I get lost too easily--so I'm thinking of delivering newspapers. I'll have to see, but I really can't wait for the applicant pool positions. I think they assume that anyone who wants a part time job is just looking for a filler, like they have nothing better to do than sit around and wait for a possible phone call.

And I still need to come up with a workable cover for DarkSpirit. But right now, I'm going to edit Heart of the Castle, then I'll work on GloryRoad and think about all this stuff tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the job hunt. I hope you find something part time that wil cover your expenses so you can keep writing to your heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! In the meantime I have ideas for some other fillers. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. I was in your shoes last year. Those part-time jobs are hard to come by. Oh, and I totally agree on the pizza thing. Directionless is my middle name. Good luck on the job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My problem with directions is that I get distracted, and then I have to stop and figure out how I got where I am...

      Delete