Monday, January 21, 2013

Social Media Marketing

A few weeks ago I realized something interesting--almost all my followers are writers. I've been told that this is not a bad thing, that writers are also readers, but unfortunately while writers are readers the reciprocal is not necessarily true.

Most readers will not be interested in my musings about the writers life or tips on how to create memorable characters. They don't want to create memorable characters. They want to read about them.

Social media is interesting that way. It's easy to get caught up in creating a blog or using twitter or facebook. It's easy to say "Looky! I'm marketing!" But unless that marketing is targeted at your intended audience, it may not be the best use of your time.

If your focus is writing books about writing, or characterization, or any of the other hundreds of topics that writers would be interested in, then marketing to writers is precisely what you need to do.

I focused this blog on writing because writing is what I love and I wanted to communicate with other writers. I had no intention of using it for "marketing." I could as easily have focused on dancing, or gardening (and in fact I do have a separate blog about alternative healing) or any of my hundreds of other interests.

If you look at the first handfull of posts, the title described the blog--Eclectic. I wrote about everything, and nothing. Gradually the blog focused in on writing because that's what I was focused on. Still am. :)

So who is your intended audience? Is it writers? Readers? Writers or readers of a particular genre? Is it adults? Children? Tweens?

Even if you're unpublished, focus at least part of your marketing efforts on your intended audience. Give them a hint, a taste, and reasons to come back to look for more. Whether that's snippets, reviews, cover art reveals or something else really doesn't make a difference, as long as it's focused at your readers and designed to draw them back.

Review books that they would be interested in. Put up pieces of your own work. Send them to another author's website that writes similar books. Start up conversations about their interests. Tell them about your characters.

Whatever it takes to get your target audience interested. Because if they're not interested, they won't come back.





HalfWorld


9 comments:

  1. Actually, I think you'd be surprised how many of your readers are interested in your craft. But yes, you're absolutely right. I've sort of drifted my blog over to a more 'news about me' focus, and use a different blog for my writing advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a common and very valid consideration. I originally started my blog with the intention of "building a presence" and little else. It then began leaning toward writing-related articles. By the latter half of last year its direction again changed a bit. It's now definitely targeted toward the writing / reading / creative community. It's become more of community-base for me, encouraging, promoting and entertaining others whenever possible.

    I'll reserve my (yet-to-come) website for marketing when the time is right. For now, I'll stick with enjoying the camaraderie of writer and blogger buddies. The relationships I've gained have been far too valuable for me to change course again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to change direction--I'm enjoying the writing world too much. So I created a new one. :)

      Lauren

      Delete
  3. Great point. I've been thinking about this as well. I'm going to include book reviews in my blog, so I hope it will interest readers as well. I mean, it's great to connect with other writers, but let's face it, most writers that have blogs are already saturated with "Please read my new book!" Ironically, they get that more than people who are just straight up readers. We should try to connect with other writers and with readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to think about the direction my new "reader" blog should take. I already have sample chapters and other stuff, but I haven't really thought about what's going to be different about my reader blog.

      Lauren

      Delete
  4. I love your Eclecticness, Lauren. It's great. I enjoy blogs that are versatile! Though I do just focus on writing and my journey there. I want to read more about your dance! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't been dancing in WAY too long, but it's one of my obsessions. Writing has taken over for a while. Couples dancing mostly--ballroom, latin, swing. It would be more fun if I had a regular partner, but I have no problem stealing someone else's partner for a while.

      Lauren

      Delete
  5. You have a very strong point here, Lauren. Social media marketing plays a big role in endorsing someone’s products or services. It’s like a big sea with a large variety of fishes. All you have to do is to swim in it, and feed the fishes with the right type of food.

    Jamie Viggiano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope you're not fishing for sharks. :)

      Delete