Monday, August 13, 2012

Frog Prince

All right, I couldn't resist this one. Not that I tried all that hard.

In 300 words or less, re-write the deciding scene of a fairy tale to create one of the following.

· Best Plot Twist
· Best Love Story
· Best Tragedy
· Best Comic Relief

WHAT IF?
Fairytale Madness BlogFest!
AUGUST 13th – 17th

There are four categories, with prizes for each. Go here for the details. Actually I've found it in about three different places, this is just the one that I happened to find when I decided to join the blogfest.

I figure this one could be either comic relief or plot twist, so I'm posting both. Is that allowed? I don't see it as either a tragedy or a romance, although I would really like the critique.

Frog Prince

Castansa shoved the slippery bullfrog at her maid. "You kiss it. You get the kiss, I get the prince."

"He said a princess..." Hana's fingers twitched just enough to keep hold of it.

"Then he's out of luck. Kiss it, or put the thing outside for the cat."

Hana stared down at the frog-prince. He was starting to dry out, and he looked at her out of those big eyes. She swallowed, remembering the bullfrogs her brothers had caught in the swamp behind their house.

"It has to be a princess?" she asked the frog-prince. The frog shifted his front feet and stared up at her. Hana lifted him up to her face. From the corner of her eye she saw the princess laughing.

"Kiss it!" Castansa giggled.

The maid closed her eyes. She gingerly laid her lips against his side. Soft, not slippery at all.

Arms came around her and she jolted, her eyes flying open. Her face was much too close to another pair of eyes. Male, human, smiling eyes.

A noise pulled her attention from the impossibility of it. They both stared down at a rather large frog sitting in a puddle made of Castansa's gown.

"Princess Castansa?" The frog croaked, sounding so much like the princess that Hana's eyes widened. "What will I tell the King?" she asked faintly. She bent and gathered her former mistress against her apron. The frog slapped its tongue against her wrist and she shoved it hurriedly at the prince.

"Well, Princess." The Prince said to the slippery creature in his hands. It was rather larger and uglier than he had been. He smiled at his rescuer. "You aren't a princess, so I guess the curse had to go somewhere. Should we put her out for the cat?"

33 comments:

  1. I dare say the princess got what she deserved. Great plot twist!
    A2Z Mommy and What’s In Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so. :) We'll see what the judges think.

      Lauren

      Delete
  2. Well this is damn good for not trying hard. lol. I loved it! The twitching fingers made me laugh. Do hope the prince and Hana had pity on the poor frog princess. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After she learns her lesson, maybe. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. And when I said I hadn't tried hard, I meant I hadn't tried to resist the contest. :)

      Delete
  3. Haha! I love it. Serves the princess right. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem rather a snot. I'm curious now about how her story plays out. :P

      Delete
  4. Ohh, so the spoiled princess got her due? I wonder what Hana does now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Maybe you should write it. :)

      Delete
  5. Ha! And that's what you get for being full of yourself... cut down to size... froggie-style! LOL.

    I'm stopping by from the Fairytale Madness Blogfest!
    http://writer-in-transit.co.za/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played fairy-godmother and gave the spoiled princess her due.

      Bluebeard isn't precisely a fairy tale, but I liked your take on it.

      Delete
  6. Oh. My. Gawd! This is soooo cool! I love this twist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I wasn't sure precisely what the 'twist' would be, but there always is one.

      Delete
  7. Ha,

    Very well written.. I hate frogs, so I had a "face on" reading this :)

    Made me laugh, too, so it's a comedy entry for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it. How come no fairy tales talk about a talking snake? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol! This is wonderful! I love your version of the Frog Prince.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! This is awesome! I absolutely love it!
    Great twist to the tale!
    Glad you couldn't resist this! Your entry is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me. I had fun with it.

      Delete
  11. I guess that is what happens when you try to get someone else to do the dirty work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What dirty work? :)

      I like giving people what they deserve.

      Delete
  12. LOL. I really like your writing---it flows very naturally to the reader's eye. Loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yuck. Poor cat, I say. I bet she'll taste terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat would probably just play with her. Cats like toys. :)

      Delete
  14. Oh, what a great twist! Poor Princess Castanca, Lucky Hana. She got the prince:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought so. There wasn't enough room to really develop it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the character of Hana. Princess Castansa certainly got her comeuppence. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! Nice job. Guess the princess shouldn't have been so squeamish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seems like Mark already claimed you on his team... and I agree since this totally had me giggling! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remove the "Team Plot Twist" picture then. I had fun with this.

      Thanks for hosting it!

      Delete