Friday, July 1, 2011

Independence Day

When the time comes that one person’s constitutional right to freedom of speech is strangled by another person’s right to be offended by that speech, we are in danger of losing that right altogether. 

 “The government shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.”  This constitutional right was intended to protect the people against the abuses evident when religion is enforced.  It says NOTHING about not being able to use the name of God in school, and in fact, if they’re going to go that far, outlaw swearing!!!.  That is more offensive to more people than the mention of religion at a funeral.

It says NOTHING about not being able to post historical (religious) sentiments on government property.  If this is the case, please remove the majority of the lawyers (they swear by Him as well.)

I believe in God and I am not offended by another person stating that they do not.  What offends me is the idea that this person who does not share my beliefs has the right to silence my beliefs in favor of his or her own.  Atheism is a belief (religious system) in the idea that there is no God.  That person has as much right to his or her own beliefs as I do, and I will not stand by while my own beliefs are strangled.

How long before freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and all other rights granted to us by the Constitution of the United States, are taken away in the name of not offending anyone?  When one is taken, can the rest be far behind?

Monday is Independence Day.  Please join me in celebrating a nation where all share the same right to freedom of speech, and do not have to worry (yet) about the nation legislating their religion or lack thereof. 

No comments:

Post a Comment