Wednesday, May 7, 2014

IWSG or something

I haven't been labeling my IWSG posts. Part of the problem is that I can't think up new, interesting ways to label them each and every month (i.e., I'm lazy) and part of the problem is that I often forget until the las...

No, can that idea. The fact that I forget has nothing to do with labeling anything, so that's meaningless.

Part of the problem is that I need to...

Nope.

If I stop to think about...

Hm.

It's a matter of scatteredness. Call it ADHD, call it an imagination, call it Alzheimers. There are lots of labels that might fit. I call it WDHD or simply WD. Writers Dementia (High Density).

There are times I can't remember even my own name, my brain is so filled with characterization, plot, writing time, non-writing time, how the stories are developing and why and blah blah blah.

Sometimes I just have to sit and stare at the wall to let it all settle. The problem comes in when this staring-at-the-wall phase lasts hours or days. Which it sometimes does.

Writers Dementia can be a hazard of the trade, but it can also be helpful. Some of my best ideas come when I'm staring at walls, or when I'm not really thinking. Of course, when I find myself parked somewhere off in the boonies writing furiously, with no idea how I got there or how long I've been gone...

Life is interesting.

10 comments:

  1. Some of my best ideas come when I'm just staring into space while playing my guitar.
    And sorry if you were removed from the list by accident. I don't take people off unless they miss two months in a row and I always check a day or two after Wednesday in case it was posted late. I hope you signed back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, but I'm not sure it took--I just checked again and my blog isn't there.

      Delete
  2. Its there now. I found you! I do pretty good thinkin' in a hot bath, but we don't have a working bathtub right now, so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me! I stare at the wall in the shower sometimes.

      Delete
  3. I believe that I am familiar with this condition but had not known it had a name before now... Have you ever been staring at a wall in public - suddenly had something click into place, and gone Aha! - or laughed - or something else completely inappropriate? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I think it's hilarious. Have you ever been in public when someone else does that and you can tell they're a writer? :)

      Delete
  4. I blame my disorganizational skills on my bipolar disorder. Its as likely a culprit as any.
    My Insecure Writer Whinge is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't blame bipolar disorder, perhaps fortunately. I'm hard enough to deal with, I can't imagine myself with bipolar. :)

      Delete
  5. Funny, Lauren--I *just* posted an article about my OCD and ADD ganging up on me! New follower here through IWSG--hope you find your balance soon :)

    ReplyDelete