Monday, June 24, 2013

If I just ignore it, it'll go away

My cat doesn't like what I gave him for breakfast, so he's going to pretend it's not there and cry at me all day as if he's STARVING.

Sometimes we do that in our writing. We know something needs to be fixed, but instead of facing the issue and solving the problem we ignore it. Maybe if we work on something else, it will go away by itself.

I have one story I've been working on for a long time. Well several, but one for the purpose of this argument. I have the second and third in the series done, and I think they're good. But the first needs some serious work. Eventually I'll just have to bite the bullet (which has an interesting origin--look it up) and start working on it, but right now I have a lot of other projects and I like the story just the way it is and I don't want to remove characters and i don't want to rewrite and and and... Every time I go back to it I fiddle, hoping that I can get around the inherent problems.

It never works. That pile of stinky cat-food just sits there, mocking me. It won't oblige me my turning into something else.

Maybe I think if I whine at someone enough they'll change it for me. :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, I've so done this! Normally it take a couple of my awesome beta readers to slap me awake. Stinkin' story, go fix yourself! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beta reader=reader of garbage until garbage is gold. Then we inflict it on the public. :)

      Delete
  2. I can relate. Sometimes if I leave it for a while, a solution comes. Other times I have to "bite the bullet" as you say and sit down and muddle through it before I find the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate muddling. I hate muddling. I hate muddling... :)

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't it be SO NICE if it would just fix itself??? Gaaaaah... and our gut feelings are usually right, even when someone may say it's fine, we know the truth deep down. That we've got to get in there and fix it. So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when someone says it's fine, I can't see the problems in my own work. So I have to muddle. I hate muddling! :)

      Delete