Monday, November 19, 2012

The Next Big Thing

A couple weeks ago Beth Fred tagged me for The Next Big Thing. I've been so involved with NaNo that I haven't had a chance to do anything with it. *wince* Sorry.

The rules are simple. I talk about my WIP progress and then tag five people who will talk about their WIP next week. Maybe. :)

What is the working title of your work-in-progress?
For NaNoWriMo I'm doing The Monster at the Heart of the Castle, which is a take-off from a made-up fairy tale.


Where did the idea come from?
I wrote another book (Tradition), and a fairy tale from that world was mentioned briefly. The Monster at the Heart of the Castle. It intrigued me, and I wanted to see the story behind the myth. It turned out as a follow-up 500 years later rather than the original, but that's OK.


What actors would you choose to play your characters in a film version?
I have no idea. I pay no attention to actors.


Write a one-paragraph summary
The fairy tale the Monster at the Heart of the Castle is the story of a young prince who was deemed unworthy to take the throne and isolated in a chamber surrounded by poisoned water so that he could not escape. With the help of a clockwork eye, he has seen and manipulated the politics of the Kingdom for the last 500 years, but now, looking through his Eye he see's something he wants. He's going to try to take it.


How long did the first draft take to write?
I'm guessing about 30 days. :) It's day 19 and I have 41k written.


What other books would you compare this to, in your genre?
I do read a lot of fantasy, but I can't think of any good comparisons. First it's in a made-up world, second it's a fairy tale from that made-up world, and third it's not finished yet.


Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Basic curiosity. That's what usually starts it. Using it as my NaNoNovel might have been a mistake, though.


What else about this story might pique the readers’ interest?
The antagonist is the Monster, but the characters trust him right up to the end. He's been imprisoned for 500 years, kept "alive" by the power of the Bay, and he's just slightly insane. If you can call it that.

I am going to tag:

Valerie Ipsen at Of Writerly Things
David King
Diane Wolfe at SpunkonaStick
Bish Denham at Random Thoughts

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tag Lauren. I did this a few weeks back. You can read my take on The Next Big Thing at http://bish-randomthoughts.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-next-big-thing.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way it goes. I tend to pick people who've already been tagged (and I didn't know it) or people who don't want to participate.

      These are fun anyway.

      Lauren

      Delete
    2. I just read it, and it looks like we got different versions!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! You're doing great for NaNoWriMo, too.

    ReplyDelete