Monday, February 13, 2012

One of these days

Some day I'm going to remember to post Monday morning. Not today though, as it's already past seven in the evening.

I have a series (6 books) that I've been working on for over a year. I was trying to get the first book ready (Demonborn. 2, 3 and 4 are ready to go) and haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. Then last night it clicked, and it's the same old story.

I have two books that I've managed to shove together. I've shifted things around, tried to make it fit, but the first half of the book is about one character, then she leaves and the rest of the book is about another. The two separate stories are linked only by the characters who participate--none of the themes developed in the first half continue on. I thought I'd fixed this (Demonborn was originally part of the second book and I split it off) but apparently not.

I'm going to continue to work on it, but taking the first half off has taken it down to under 50,000 words so it'll be a while. If I start with the second book it won't hurt anything and I can fix this one. All the books stand alone, except that they're chronological. There's no real "arc" that covers all the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment