Monday, August 29, 2011


I keep getting caught up in the mechanics.  Write, take breaks, spend time exercising, write some more, but I'm so set on my “rules” that I'm not paying as much attention to the writing itself as I usually do.  I'm just so afraid that my “year” will be frittered away by doing all kinds of other things.  Important things, of course, but that's not what this time is for.

I have to make rules for myself or I might end up reading and playing in my garden and making soap and all of those other things that some might call hobbies and not writing.  But the mechanics seem to be interfering.

How to reconcile it?  I think that for this first month at least I need to be a little more flexible, switch things around and find out what “rules” actually work for me.

1 comment:

  1. Though the rules are important, they can sometimes stunt us especially in early drafts. My rule is, I can't pay too much attention to the rules in my first drafts, but in my rewrites, I focus more on the rules. Don't know if that helps at all, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete