Monday, February 25, 2013

Urbane fantawhatsis

Today is Monday. I got up this morning and dived right into the writing, completely forgetting that I should do a blog entry. Sometimes I wonder if my brain is working correctly, and the answer to that is no.

If my brain was working correctly I would be doing something other than writing. :)

But I love it and shall continue as long as possible.

Anyway, I wrote an urban fantasy. It was an experiment, and I totally expected it to bomb. Unfortunately for me, it didn't. People who read it want more. Research on urban fantasy was in order.

So I headed to the library. *wince* Mistake.

I don't know about anyone else, but I draw the line at fallen angels, demons and sex. Or sex between fallen angels and demons. Or the offspring of such. Apparently those who choose books for the public libraries equate "urban" with "done-to-death supernatural."

Every single book I pulled down that even looked like urban fantasy had one of those elements. Most had all three. I have enough trash in my head without adding more to the mix.

So I guess it's up to me to write it, and since I can't find any interesting urban fantasies to show me the way I'll make up my own rules.



*Note to those reading this: If you know of interesting urban fantasies that have none of those things, I would be interested in the titles. Somehow I doubt the public library carries them (I can't afford to buy them at this point), but it's worth a try. I have since read the Paranormalcy series and LOVED it.

Note #2, I'm currently working on another in the same series, and enjoying it a lot more than I ever expected to.

No comments:

Post a Comment